Yoghurt, passionfruit & banana Eton mess
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1/2 cup (75g) icing sugar
- 2 passionfruit, plus extra to serve
- 1/2 cup (125ml) pure (thin) cream
- 1 cup (280g) thick Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla-bean paste (see note)
- 6 x 10g pavlova nests*, broken into 2cm chunks
- 2 bananas, sliced
- Stir half the sugar in a pan with 1/4 cup (60ml) cold water over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-low and simmer, without stirring, for 1 minute, then set aside to cool. Stir passionfruit pulp into cooled syrup, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, whip cream to soft peaks with a whisk or electric beaters. Fold in yoghurt, vanilla-bean paste and remaining sugar. Fold meringue into yoghurt mixture, then stir in the banana and half the passionfruit syrup. Spoon into glasses, top with the remaining passionfruit syrup and serve with the extra fresh passionfruit pulp.
Notes & tips
- Available from supermarkets.
- If you prefer, omit the passionfruit syrup and just use the pulp of 2 passionfruit. Try this classic English dessert with other seasonal fruit, such as mango and berries.
delicious. - October 2007, Page 134
Recipe by Olivia Andrews