Almond jelly with fruit
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 3 gold-strength gelatine leaves (see note)
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 300ml pure (thin) cream
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- Fruit salad (such as honey dew, mango and pawpaw) and mint leaves, to serve
- Begin this recipe a day ahead. Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for 5 minutes to soften. Meanwhile, place 90g of the caster sugar in a pan over low heat with 200ml cold water, then stir to dissolve sugar. Squeeze excess water from the gelatine, then add the leaves to the syrup. Remove from the heat and stir to dissolve. Place cream, almond extract and 100ml water in a bowl. Add gelatine mix and stir to combine. Transfer to a 20cm round cake pan (not springform) or glass dish. Cover and chill overnight until set.
- Place the remaining 130g sugar, vanilla pod and seeds, and 1/2 cup (125ml) water in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar, then simmer, without stirring, for 2-3 minutes until syrupy. Cool, then discard pod. Divide fruit among serving plates, cut jelly into triangles, then place on top of fruit. Drizzle with vanilla syrup and serve scattered with mint.
Notes & tips
- Gelatine leaves are from gourmet food shops.
delicious. - February 2007, Page 68
Recipe by Valli Little