Ingredients (serves 6)
- 625ml (2 1/2 cups) thin cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 7 egg yolks
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) amaretto liqueur
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Place six 185ml (3/4-cup) capacity ovenproof ramekins in a large roasting pan.
- Place the cream and vanilla bean in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture comes to a simmer (do not boil). Strain through a sieve into a heatproof jug. Use a small knife to scrape vanilla seeds from the bean into cream. Discard bean.
- Meanwhile, use a balloon whisk to whisk together the egg yolks, caster sugar and amaretto in a bowl until well combined.
- Whisk the hot cream mixture into the egg-yolk mixture. Pour evenly among ramekins. Pour enough boiling water into the pan to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Cook in oven for 30 minutes or until just set. Remove ramekins from roasting pan and set aside for 2 hours to cool. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 6 hours to set.
- Preheat grill on high. Sprinkle brulees with brown sugar. Cook under preheated grill, about 6cm from heat source, for 2-3 minutes or until sugar bubbles and caramelises. Serve immediately.
Good Taste - August 2005, Page 95
Recipe by Sarah Hobbs