Almond meringues with strawberry cream
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup (100g) caster sugar, plus 2 tbs extra
- 2 tbs flaked almonds
- 250g punnet strawberries, washed, hulled, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250ml) double cream
- Preheat oven to 120°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Use an electric mixer to whisk the egg whites until firm peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking well between each addition. Continuing whisking for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
- Spoon tablespoonfuls of meringue mixture on to the lined tray. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until meringues are dry and crisp. Turn oven off and leave in oven, with door ajar, until cooled to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, combine strawberries and extra sugar in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves and strawberries release juices. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Transfer to a bowl and place in the fridge to chill.
- Combine the cream and strawberry mixture in a bowl. Dip meringues in strawberry cream to serve.
Notes & tips
- Transportation tip: Store meringues in an airtight container. Store strawberry cream in an airtight container and place in an esky.
Notebook: - March 2007, Page 120
Recipe by Sarah Hobbs