Aniseed & chocolate parfait
Prepare for an explosion of flavours as the layers of this dessert melt in your mouth.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 x 300ml ctn thickened cream
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 125g mascarpone
- 8 Unibic aniseed cake biscuits, chopped
- 80ml (1/3 cup) chilled espresso coffee
- Cocoa powder, to dust
- Combine the chocolate and one-third of the cream in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan half-filled with simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water). Cook, stirring with a metal spoon, for 5 minutes or until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth.
- Use an electric beater to whisk the egg white in a clean dry bowl until soft peaks form.
- Use a balloon whisk to whisk together the egg yolk and sugar in a medium bowl until pale and creamy. Stir in the mascarpone.
- Use an electric beater to whisk the remaining cream in a bowl until soft peaks form. Fold into the egg yolk mixture. Add the egg white and gently fold until just combined.
- Place the biscuits in a bowl and drizzle with the coffee. Spoon half the biscuit mixture evenly among serving glasses. Top with half the chocolate sauce and half the cream mixture. Continue layering with remaining biscuits, chocolate mixture and cream mixture. Dust with cocoa to serve.
Good Taste - November 2006, Page 55
Recipe by Gemma Purcell