What better to escape the summer heat than the combination of chocolate mousse and ice cream? Great for family BBQ's, this recipe is sure to cool off any dedicated August baker.
- 1 3/4 cups (11.5 ounce package) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Milk Chocolate Morsels - divided use
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup finely crushed chocolate wafer cookies (about 16 cookies)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
4 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups lowfat orange sherbet ice cream, softened slightly
- MICROWAVE 1 1/4 cups morsels and 3/4 cup cream in medium, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 1 minute; STIR. Morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract. Cool to room temperature.
- LINE 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with 2 overlapping sheets of plastic wrap, allowing 4-inch overhang on all sides.
- COMBINE crushed cookies and butter in medium bowl. Press onto bottom of prepared loaf pan.
- BEAT 3/4 cup cream and powdered sugar in small chilled mixer bowl until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold whipped cream into chocolate mixture until blended. Spoon half of chocolate mousse (about 1 1/2 cups) over cookie layer; smooth top. Freeze for 2 hours or until very firm. Cover and refrigerate remaining chocolate mousse.
- SPOON sherbet over frozen chocolate layer; smooth top. Freeze for 2 hours or until very firm.
- SPOON remaining chocolate mousse over sherbet layer; smooth top. Freeze for 2 hours or until very firm.
- MICROWAVE remaining 1/2 cup morsels and remaining 1/4 cup cream in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 1 minute; STIR. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes. Spread evenly over mousse layer. Freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
Makes 12 servings.
NOTE: Full freezing time is necessary. Each layer must be frozen solid before topped with the next layer for a clean result.
- May be layered with other flavors of sherbet or ice cream.
- To cut slices more easily, run hot water over knife blade and dry prior to cutting.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories: 380 Calories from Fat: 230 Total Fat: 26 g Saturated Fat: 16 g Cholesterol: 60 mg Sodium: 90 mg Carbohydrates: 38 g Dietary Fiber: 0 g Sugars: 30 g Protein: 4 g