Sinful chocolate cakes, creamy puddings and mousses, rich pastries – can add to the burgeoning waistline, escalating cholesterol and mounting calories. If you want to shed off the extra pounds or manage health conditions like diabetes and high cholesterol, low fat desserts may be the first step in the right direction. All it takes is a little imagination and careful planning to whip up healthy low fat desserts, low in fat and yet high on taste. Our low fat dessert recipes will keep you and your family healthy and happy. Peruse our simple tips to healthier dessert options.
Low fat dessert
Desserts can be a bane for any wannabe dieter. While all of us love to wrap up a meal with a dessert, often they are rich and creamy and oozing with fat and sugars. If you are well on your way to shedding a few pounds, there is no need for you to skip the dessert completely. Do not deny yourself – instead plan for low fat desserts with clever substitutes. Use low-fat fresh fruits, nuts, skim milk, yogurt and fruit purees. All it takes are a few small lifestyle changes towards healthier and low-fat desserts…and you won’t be left craving!
* You can keep the high fat pound cakes and frosted cakes at bay and instead make healthier choices like angel food cake.
* Opt for low-fat cookies like ginger snaps, oatmeal cookies and fig bars
* How about flavored gelatin instead of frappes and milkshakes ?
* You can make a dessert of fresh fruits and low-fat yogurt.
* Avoid store-bought goodies such as pies, cakes, croissants, pastries and muffins
* You can use egg whites or egg substitutes in your baking.
* Reduce amount of sugar in your favorite dessert recipes
* Make good use of nuts and fruit in your low fat dessert recipes
* Flavor your baking with the wafting essence of nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon or vanilla or lemon extracts
* Serve angel food cake with strawberries, raspberries or a fresh fruit salad
* Garnish your cakes with citrus peels, mint leaves and berries and avoid the frosting and chocolate curls
Low fat dessert recipe
Low fat Peanut cookies
Use low-fat peanut butter along with eggs, skim milk, vanilla extract, sour cream, vanilla syrup and granular mix. Add all-purpose flour and baking powder. Add chocolate chips and mix gently. Pour batter into a greased biscuit pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
Low fat oat cookies
Low fat cookies with healthy oats are wonderful for kids and adults alike. Serve them hot or with a dollop of chilled yogurt.
100 gms oats
100 gms butter
50 gms golden syrup
½ tsp. baking soda
100 gms flour
100 gms brown sugar
Heat butter, golden syrup and sugar on low flame till well blended. Sift flour with baking soda and add oats and chopped nuts. Add the molten mixture and prepare soft dough. Work out small balls and place on greased baking dish. Bake for about 15 minutes.
Low Fat Banana Bread
Your favorite banana bread can be made as a low fat version by substituting butter with margarine and reducing sugar and eggs.
½ cup all purpose flour
½ cup sugar
½ cup soft margarine
¼ tsp baking powder
1 cup mashed bananas
Cream sugar and margarine and add in eggs, water and bananas. Add flour, baking powder and salt to the mixture. Mix well and pour into a baking dish. Bake for about 50 minutes at about 350 degrees F.
Low fat pumpkin cake
For a low-fat version of pumpkin cheesecake, opt for fat free cream cheese and skim milk. Use graham crackers for a crusty layer and fat free whipped topping. With a blend of spices and pumpkin, this cake is sure to be a family favorite.
Low fat Chocolate Surprise
If you are craving for some chocolate, try out fat free instant pudding and layer it on fat free pound cake and top it up with fat free whipped cream.
Baked Fruit Treat
Whip up a baked treat with apples and strawberries. Arrange the chopped fruits at the bottom of the cake dish and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon. Prepare a baking mix with flour, baking powder and sugar. Add skim milk and applesauce and egg whites. Spread over the fruit mixture and bake for about 30 minutes. The wafting aroma of golden browned fruit will have you craving for more!